New parents deserve the highest-quality care and shared decision-making in their birth experience. This includes access to all the facts and information they need during pregnancy, labor, and birth. If complications do arise, cesarean section (C-section) births are one option that can save the lives of mother and baby. Some mothers may choose to voluntarily undergo the surgery without having a complete understanding, unnecessarily exposing both themselves and baby to potentially avoidable risks.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has set a goal to reduce unnecessary C-section births for first-time parents with low-risk pregnancies nationwide by 23.9%. Each year, the California Health and Human Services Agency, in partnership with Cal Hospital Compare, acknowledges hospitals in the Maternity Care Honor Roll for achieving or going beyond this goal.
Sutter Health Plus is pleased that twelve of its network hospitals were recognized this year:
- California Pacific Medical Center – Van Ness Campus
- Eden Medical Center
- Memorial Medical Center
- Mills-Peninsula Medical Center
- Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital – Palo Alto
- Dominican Hospital, Santa Cruz
- El Camino Hospital – Los Gatos
- Sutter Santa Rosa Regional Hospital
- Sutter Davis Hospital
- Sutter Delta Medical Center
- Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento
- Watsonville Community Hospital
The 2022 Maternity Care Honor Roll is part of a series of quality recognitions from the state of California. Learn more by viewing the full list of honorees.