The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) expanded Pfizer COVID-19 booster shot recommendations to include individuals ages 16 and 17.
A booster shot is given to individuals when the immune system response to the primary vaccine series has likely decreased over time. This will help provide stronger protection against COVID-19, particularly in light of the new variant.
Previously, the CDC had issued COVID-19 booster shot recommendations for all individuals age 18 and older. This new guidance expands booster eligibility to all individuals age 16 and older who completed their initial Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine series at least six months prior. As a reminder, parental or guardian consent is required for individuals age 17 and under.
Individuals Age 16 and Older Can Get a Booster Shot
Sutter Health Plus covers COVID-19 vaccines for our members, including additional doses or booster shots, even when administered out-of-network. Vaccinations are offered at multiple locations across the Sutter Health Plus service area. Members can check appointment availability through:
- Network pharmacies
- The Sutter Health COVID-19 Vaccine appointment line at 844-987-6115
- Sutter’s patient portal, My Health Online
- My Turn, California’s COVID-19 vaccine scheduling portal
Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination and Test Results
Members who received their COVID-19 vaccination(s) or testing with Sutter can view and share proof of their COVID-19 vaccination(s) or test results easily from My Health Online. After signing in, members can click the Menu button, scroll to My Record and select COVID-19 to view details. Visit Sutter’s COVID-19 Vaccine Resources page for more information.
Additionally, all members can go to California’s Digital COVID-19 Vaccine Record site to get a link to a QR code and digital copy of their COVID-19 vaccination record.
With the increasing vaccine eligibility and supply, the total number of eligible Californians (age five and older) fully vaccinated against COVID-19 now tops 70%, according to the state. Additionally, 40% of eligible Californians have already received a booster shot.
For up-to-date information about COVID-19, visit:
- Sutter Health Plus COVID-19 Coverage, Cost and Access to Care for health plan information and FAQs
- Sutter Health COVID-19 Resources for clinical information, a COVID-19 interactive screener, patient information, and more
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for federal guidance, U.S. data tracking, and public health information
- California Department of Public Health for California-specific alerts, data tracking, resources, and guidance